Sunday, August 3, 2008

My Treasure

(Written on Jul.20th)
My husband started a new job two weeks ago. He has been home studying and preparing for his training that will take place in August, for the whole month. Four weeks. Did I mention that he will be away in another state, unable to come home for approximately one third of our summer? I am not bitter. He is missing our family vacation. I look so forward to our time up north every year. Literally in the dead cold, waste deep snow of Michigan winter, I dream of walking on the beach with the sun basking on my shoulders, hearing the crashing waves of Lake Michigan with my husband's hand in mine and our little ones at our feet. It helps me get through the cold. I am not kidding. Our time at the beach every year was my focal point while giving birth to all three children, no joke! I am not bitter. I paid for the condo in full months ago, before the new job. I reserved the only week available. I keep telling myself that I am not bitter, I am thankful. We are so fortunate that my husband has a job and even a better opportunity for our family. It's much closer to home (after training, that is).

I look so forward to it. I plan out what outfits the kids will wear for pictures together on the beach, weeks in advance. Every year when we drive up over that hill, under the lighthouse sign welcoming us to our cherished vacation town, we all are filled with such anticipation and hope, so excited about the next several days.

Oh, how I put my hope in earthly things. Can storing up treasures on earth mean more than material items? Can it mean any type of enjoyment that we cherish more than heaven itself? Even loving time with our family more than time with Jesus? Do I yearn for heaven like I yearn for our vacation?

Forgive me Jesus for not putting you first in my life. Thank you for molding me a bit with this situation. You Oh Lord know exactly how to shape my stubborn ways. Thank you, thank you, thank you.


Matthew 6:19-21
Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

No comments: