Saturday, August 2, 2008

Bathie Time

Ayla was playing with her toys, having such a great time in the basement. It was getting late. Bathie time. I told her and she was not happy. I picked her up as she fought me off. Kicking, stretching, tears, the works. I cradled her in my arms gently and had a thought/question enter into my mind. Is that how I am with my God? Does He pick me up and carefully hold me even when I'm unwilling? I took crocodile-teary eyes up into the bathroom and ran the water. As soon as she realized it was one of her favorite times of the day, she got a big smile on her face, "baffy?" As I poured the warm water out of the cup over her head, I had thoughts of God dipping me in His streams of living water, cleansing my selfishness, my laziness, my sin.

Sometimes I feel our Sovereign God takes us, pulls us up out of our miry pit, wherever that may be, and grabs onto us (even when we are fighting Him) and dips us right back into our waters of baptism. Cleansing every inch of rotten stain and blemish, He casts it all off as far as the east is from the west.

John 3:11
"I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire..."

No comments: