Saturday, December 8, 2012

Forgotten

I pull into pick him up from school exactly eight minutes late and preoccupied on an important phone call...

The conversation is deep but out of the corner of my eye I see him flagging me down and running to the car as I pull through the turn around.  And he jumps in the car upset, more than upset, his eyes are red and brimmed with tears.  He lets out a sob and I have to leave the car and flash my pointer finger at him as I shut his cries out so I can finish the important conversation which happens to be with a Sargent police officer but that is beside the point.

I quickly hang up and hurry back in the van.  Fight? Bullying?  What in the world happened?  I ask him what's wrong and he gets it out...

"I thought you forgot me...I was so scared...I didn't know what to do...I forgot my cell phone, so I couldn't call you!"

I embrace my first born who just turned 12 and acts so grown up so much of the time.  I realize that he is still just a boy.  As my gut turns over I stroke his head and tell him what to do if it ever happens again...We make a plan and I lay it out before him.  And I don't think he will forget his cell phone, next time...He swallows back the tears and I tell a bad joke but he smiles anyways as he wipes away the pain.

And my sweet Jonah boy and I, our outward resemblance isn't all we have in common.

I have felt forgotten.  Left waiting after feverishly praying and petitioning until my eyes are raw and my knees are bruised.

Wondering if He would show up in the midst of my trouble and feeling abandoned when I didn't think He came on time...

But unlike this mama, our Father in heaven is unblemished and perfect.  His plans are pure and holy.

Sometimes the most important lessons are learned when the storm is raging the hardest.

Because in our weakness, in our brokenness, His strength is made perfect.    

He will never be preoccupied with an important phone call because He is omnipresent and omniscient.  .

He will always show up in His timing, which is always the right time.

He will write out a plan for our lives, for my life and it will be perfectly orchestrated for Him but may sound out of tune sometimes to me....

The question is will I stand on the road in the cold rain full of fear and trembling?....Or will I jump in the vehicle and buckle up for a ride that may get a bit bumpy but will be filled with purpose and life.


.

No comments: