Monday, November 14, 2011

Harmonious Compositions

My husband made a comment about someone the other day.


"That woman has 'Hurried Mother Syndrome', " He says.

And I'm not sure if that really is a condition or not...

It very well could be.  He would know since he has sold prescription drugs for many different disorders the last several years. But I didn't even bother to ask him if he was kidding or being serious.

All I thought was that I certainly hope and pray that I don't have "Hurried Mother Syndrome".

At least not to the extent that people notice (for goodness sake).

But those simple words uttered out of those lips that I know all too well has struck a chord that rings loud.

And the sound of that clashing instrument beats deep within... reminding me that I am, beyond a reasonable doubt, living with this horrible disease.

And the melody most definitely isn't appealing or even the least bit desirable.

Instead the notes are pounded out creating more of an ear-piercing noise. A wretched sound that puts the worst jazz to shame.

And with this in the front of my mind, I wake up to morning chaos, scrambling as usual but with a bit more self-awareness...maybe even a bit of conviction in my tread.

And I find myself hurrying the kids out the door because they have a REALLY hard time staying on task.

But I am so much more aware now of the type of music I want to dance to in my daily routines with the children.

And I was reminded this morning that much of the time, most of the time, I end up hurrying them when I have been the worst culprit by fitting in too much in too little time.

Most of the time, I don't give enough time.

I am playing triplet notes instead of whole notes, trying to fit in more than I have allotted time for, squishing more than one measure can hold.

And my lack of practice all too often results in a frazzled hurried mother pointing a wrong finger at an innocent child.

I rush through the music in front of me.

I bang it out in the wrong key.

I take my eyes and ears off of the music.

But tonight I am so thankful for the light that has been shone brightly on each and every harmonious note laid out in front of me.

This beautiful composition named "Motherhood" stands upright against the dark wooden music stand called life...

And tonight the writing has been clearly written by my divine God who spoke through my better half who didn't even realize what impact he was making as I read what He was saying...

And sometimes the light is dimmed and the notes aren't clear and that is when I just fill in and play by ear...

But many times the writing is clear and flooded with light and my job is to play as written...

And this, my friend, is one of those times....







No comments: